Thursday 6 March 2008

Fidgeting

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

The young man had been fidgeting quite a lot during the Maghrib prayer. He had managed to remove his watch from his pocket and strapped it on, checked the time and bent down to straighten his socks to mention a few of his movements. As the imam concluded the prayer, I hesitated, should I try and say something? Could I overcome the language barrier? Would a few words put this young man off praying in the masjid again? The questions revolved around in my brain when I extended my hand in salaam.

I first asked if he spoke English. He looked at me blankly the smell of a recently smoked cigarette wafted over me as he exhaled with his face turned towards mine. I paused and then launched into my faltering Arabic, hoping the young man's classical Arabic was up to scratch.

A man builds a beautiful house. Once it is complete he enters it and begins to destroy it, he wrecks the door then the windows and then the walls. What do you think of this man - sensible or crazy?

He smiled shaking his hand in the air indicating the man had lost his mind.

You are like a man building a house, you came all the way to the masjid, made wadu, stood in front of Allah, then when you entered into your house, the prayer, you began to wreck it by your excessive movements. I stopped.

His teeth broke through his lips as his smile widened, his right hand met mine in a strong handshake, "Jazakallahu khairan (may God reward you)".

5 comments:

  1. Masha'Allah, that shows we should always try to give Dawah to others especially since we have nothing to lose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is interesting. Do you think he understood what you were saying?

    ReplyDelete
  3. From what I remember I would say, very much yes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Assalamu Aliykum wa rahmatullah,

    Nice post mashAllah. Iv read some other articles on your blog. Are you currently residing in Jeddah? Me and my husband inshaAllah will be moving to Jeddah in June and i wanted to know if we could get in touch with you for some advice. It seems as though you have alot of experience regarding Jeddah.

    JazakAllah Khair

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the best with your move. Please ask any questions via the blog comments. Please note I have switched sites. See my latest post on wordpress.

    ReplyDelete